Tuesday 16 August 2011

Dina Wakley stamps & Pan Pastels





I've had a little bit of a play with my new Dina Wakley stamps and Pan Pastels. My only criticism....I need more of them!!! I'm kind of in love with my Pan Pastels too, they are very easy to use so I thought I would do a little step by step, talk you through it kind of thing so you can see how I built up the layers.

I took a bunch of tags, tore up some book pages and used Claudine Hellmuth's Matt Medium to stick the pages to the tags.



Once the book pages were pasted to the tag, I brushed a small amount of the matt medium randomly over the tag, making sure to leave a few gaps as this would give some interest to my background.

Using a sponge, I started to lay down some Pan Pastels and you will see that it is slightly darker over the matt medium areas.

With a piece of Cut'n'dry foam, I sponged some Versamark ink through a stencil.
Followed by more Pan Pastels. At this point, I have only used one colour of Pan Pastels but I have achieved lots of different shades of this colour.
I then repeated the Versamark and Pan Pastels through a different stencil.
Next I stamped Dina's "Earnest" text stamp with Versmark
 I used a slightly darker colour of Pan Pastel to dust over the wet ink.
 Last but not , I used Ranger's Black Archival ink to stamp Lonely Girl.


Sample No 2
Matt medium first, followed by first colour of Pan Pastels.
I used a smaller tool to apply streaks of my second colour.

I then stamped Dina's "Script Heart" with Versamark and used my small tool to add layers of colour to the solid heart.
The last images, Grungy Silhouette and Boys Star were stamped over the Pan Pastels with Rangers Archival.

Here are the step by step pictures of the last sample, I'm guessing you're getting the feel of this by now.

So there we have it, three samples and photo overload but hopefully you'll be able to understand my excitement.

I'm going to be absent for a few days, I'm off to PaperArtsy HQ to spend a few days with Leandra working on Artsycrafts stuff.

Hope you mangage to find some time to get creative, Lin

EDIT: Silly, silly me.....forgot to say that Dina's stamps can be found on my website www.lbcrafts.com in the misc. section

33 comments:

Lisa Barrie said...

Love the step by step thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi excellent step by step as usual. I bet its nice to own a shop where you have access to all the latest goodies.
Btw what is the name of the script stamp that you used in the last tag please

Helen said...

I am going to have to save up for some pan pastels - they are fab - but there is no money left after Sunday, LOL!
These tags are great and thanks for doing the step by steps as I didn't make notes on Sunday... have a great time with leandra.

yoursartfully said...

The script stamp used is Dina's Earnest stamp and can be found on my website www.lbcrafts.com in the Misc. section

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Lynn, love the tags, I often use matt medium but coloured with ink pads after, makes a great resist but the pan pastels are a lovely intense colour. I have just placed an order on line. Would you mind letting me know what colours you have used as I particularly like the dark pinky plum colour and the other too. Ordered one set so far. Thanks. Tracy x

Oxana said...

THank you!!!
Gorgeous creations!!!!

Carolyn Kropp said...

Do you apple to pan pastels WHILE the matte medium is WET or after it is dry? Does the whole piece need a spray fixative to prevent rub off? Thanks...love the step-outs!

Kirsten Alicia said...

I've been watching Donna Downey use Pan Pastels & I'm very impressed. these tags are wonderful & thanks for the step by step photos. I have the same questions as Artful Hands about the matte medium & fixative.

kjjc said...

lovely. Grreat step by step and lovely colours used. Very tempting.Errr have I said that before?

Kathyk said...

OMG I think I HAVE to have some pan pastels now!

FAB projects from you

Kathyk

Jill said...

GREAT tutorial!!!

Gillian .... said...

Oh loving these samples, especially the colour palette of the 2nd one, I looked at the Pan Pastels last night lol, added to list:)

massofhair said...

Wonderful tutorial & making me even more determined to get some of the Pan Pastels. Thank You:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Lin, these are gorgeous...I NEED those stamps :-) Thanks for the step by atep...S x

Netty said...

Wonderful samples, thank you for showing and a great demo. xx

flutterbycrafter said...

These are gorgeous, so yummy, in fact I've just ordered a set of pan pastels, couldn't resist after seeing your step by step, wonderful, thanks

Dina said...

Sooooooooooooo fabulous, Linda!

Dragon said...

Oh these are fab tags, Lin... the stamps and pastels just called out for your tutorial, thanks
Frankie
xx

Daniele said...

ohhhh these look like fun, I love how the colours have blended to create a real interesting background, I think I need to have a visit in my next hols
hugs

lisa_crofts said...

Awesome tutorial lin. Can you tell us the colours you used. I love the two coloured heart. Yummo

pysselpetra said...

great tutorial ♥ love the result

maggie warke said...

Thanks for the step by step, love the effect with the versamark and pan pastels, i got some ages ago - now i know what to to with them!

Linda M. Cain said...

Great tutorial! Love everything Dina!

~Linda

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Gorgeous tags! I just became a follower here....I did not know you had a blog,,,I know, I know...what spaceship did I just get off of...but I saw your tags on Dina´s blog and well here I am .....

Larajc said...

AAAAHHHH, so that is how you do it...thanks for the tutorial and the ideas! Just wonderful!

selena said...

ces tags sont superbes, merci pour ce partage!

selena said...

ces tags sont superbes, merci pour ce tutoreil

violetclouds said...

neat work! loving the step by step, as a newbie its a bit hard for me to figure out how some things are done.
thanks!

Linda Simpson said...

Thank you for giving step by step instruction on using PanPastel. I having been looking for other colouring materials and I have found something that will work fantastic with my stamps.

Fabulous artwork and the Tags are gorgeous.

Hugs
Linda

Cynthia Lloréns said...

I've been watching Donna Downey use Pan Pastels & I'm very impressed.
Grreat step by step and lovely colours used.
Those tags are gorgeous !!! I just became a follower here
Have a nice weekend.
Kisses and huges from Brazil
Cynthia

Shelly Schmidt said...

Love your step by step with these tags- found you on Pintrest!

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

Thanks for the step by step. This is a technique I will try in my art journal next :)

MarMaya said...

Lovely and very clear instructions